Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The World Does Care, Really Care, About Kate Middleton. I'm Not Sure it Matters Why.

My awesome friend and fellow British drama affectionado Dahlia sent me this link today, about the discovery that Kate Middleton is distantly related to Jane Austen.


 The People magazine online article reads:

"The famed romance author (1775-1817) and the newly-minted royal, 29, have family ties, according to findings from Ancestry.com. The ladies are eleventh cousins, six times removed, according to the site, and they are linked through Henry Percy, the second Earl of Northumberland, who was born in 1392.

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2011/news/110711/jane-austen-2-320.jpg"'Finding this connection between the Duchess of Cambridge and Jane Austen is very exciting since, in many ways, Catherine is the modern Jane Austen heroine: a middle-class girl marrying the future King of England,'" says lead historian Anastasia Harman.
"'Jane Austen may have written about happily-ever-after, but it seems Catherine has found a nonfiction hero to spend her life with – far past the epilogue.'" http://www.people.com/ 


To underscore the royal buzz, later, while sitting in the barber shop waiting for my son to get his haircut I perused a magazine feature about the royal wedding. It stated that about 2 billion people - 1/3 of the world's population - watched the wedding.  I don't know if that figure counts people like me who shortly after the wedding, checked out some press highlights of it... But still, two billion people?! Apparently I need to stop justifying why the heck I find the Brits so interesting. Clearly an insane number of people on this planet do.

The interesting thing about the article in the barbershop was that it was in a Christian magazine and it was explaining why the Royal wedding mattered so much with a Biblical analysis. The Biblical analysis quickly became far too esoteric for me, but the thing I took away from this is that the British people and their institutions command tremendous interest and respect worldwide.

Whether we justify if with Jane Austen and happy ever afters or with the Bible itself, people do care about what Kate is up to.

The World Does Care, Really Care, About Kate Middleton. I'm Not Sure it Matters Why. LostinBritishTV

No comments:

Post a Comment